— equivalently , adv.
/i kwiv"euh leuhnt/ or, for 5, /ee'kweuh vay"leuhnt/ , adj.
1. equal in value, measure, force, effect, significance, etc.: His silence is equivalent to an admission of guilt.
2. corresponding in position, function, etc.: In some ways their prime minister is equivalent to our president.
3. Geom. having the same extent, as a triangle and a square of equal area.
4. Math. (of two sets) able to be placed in one-to-one correspondence.
5. Chem. having the same capacity to combine or react chemically.
6. something that is equivalent.
[ 1425-75; late ME aequivalent- (s. of aequivalens ), prp. of aequivalere. See EQUI-, -VALENT ]
Syn. 1. See equal .