— extendedly , adv. — extendedness , n.
/ik sten"did/ , adj.
1. stretched out: extended wires.
2. continued or prolonged: extended efforts.
3. spread out: extended flags.
4. widespread or extensive; having extension or spatial magnitude: extended treatment of a subject.
5. outstretched: extended arms.
6. Print. expanded (def. 3).
7. of or pertaining to a meaning of a word other than its original or primary meaning: an extended sense.
a. (of a moving horse) noting an elongated pose in which the legs reach out from the body, the chin is out from the chest, etc. Cf. collected (def. 3a).
b. (of the gait of a horse) characterized by long, low, usually fast strides. Cf. collected (def. 3b).
[ 1400-50; late ME; see EXTEND, -ED 2 ]