Meaning of GAMBLE in English
— gambler , n.
/gam"beuhl/ , v. , gambled, gambling , n.
1. to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes.
2. to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance: to gamble on a toss of the dice.
3. to lose or squander by betting (usually fol. by away ): He gambled all his hard-earned money away in one night.
4. to wager or risk (money or something else of value): to gamble one's freedom.
5. to take a chance on; venture; risk: I'm gambling that our new store will be a success.
6. any matter or thing involving risk or hazardous uncertainty.
7. a venture in a game of chance for stakes, esp. for high stakes.
[ 1150-1200; ME gamenen to play (OE gamenian ), with substitution of -LE for -en; see GAME 1 ]
Syn. 6. venture, hazard, speculation, flyer.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012