Meaning of HARE in English
— harelike , adj.
/hair/ , n. , pl. hares , ( esp. collectively ) hare , v. , hared, haring .
1. any rodentlike mammal of the genus Lepus, of the family Leporidae, having long ears, a divided upper lip, and long hind limbs adapted for leaping.
2. any of the larger species of this genus, as distinguished from certain of the smaller ones known as rabbits.
3. any of various similar animals of the same family.
4. ( cap. ) Astron. the constellation Lepus.
5. the player pursued in the game of hare and hounds.
6. Chiefly Brit. to run fast.
[ bef. 900; ME; OE hara; c. Dan hare; akin to G Hase hare, OE hasu gray ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012