— initialer , n. — initially , adv.
/i nish"euhl/ , adj., n., v., initialed, initialing or ( esp. Brit. ) initialled, initialling .
1. of, pertaining to, or occurring at the beginning; first: the initial step in a process.
2. Phonet. occurring at the beginning of a word or syllable, as the /k/ sound of kite, chasm, or quay.
3. an initial letter, as of a word.
4. the first letter of a proper name.
5. a letter of extra size or an ornamental character used at the beginning of a chapter or other division of a book, manuscript, or the like.
6. to mark or sign with an initial or the initials of one's name, esp. as a token of preliminary or informal approval.
[ 1520-30; initialis, equiv. to initi ( um ) beginning ( init-, n. deriv. of inire to enter, begin; in- IN- 2 + ire to go; cf. COMES) + -ium -IUM) + -alis -AL 1 ]