— intermediately , adv. — intermediateness , n.
/in'teuhr mee"dee it/ , adj.
1. being, situated, or acting between two points, stages, things, persons, etc.: the intermediate steps in a procedure.
2. of or pertaining to an intermediate school.
3. Auto. mid-size.
4. a person who acts between others; intermediary; mediator.
5. something intermediate, as a form or class.
6. Chem. a derivative of the initial material formed before the desired product of a chemical process.
[ 1615-25; intermediatus, equiv. to L intermedi ( us ) intermediary ( inter- INTER- + medius MIDDLE, in the middle) + -atus -ATE 1 ]
— intermediator , n. — intermediatory /in'teuhr mee"dee euh tawr'ee, -tohr'ee/ , adj.
/in'teuhr mee"dee ayt'/ , v.i. , intermediated, intermediating .
to act as an intermediary; intervene; mediate.
[ 1600-10; intermediatus, ptp. of intermediare. See INTER-, MEDIATE ]