— lampless , adj.
/lamp/ , n.
1. any of various devices furnishing artificial light, as by electricity or gas. Cf. fluorescent lamp, incandescent lamp .
2. a container for an inflammable liquid, as oil, which is burned at a wick as a means of illumination.
3. a source of intellectual or spiritual light: the lamp of learning.
4. any of various devices furnishing heat, ultraviolet, or other radiation: an infrared lamp.
5. a celestial body that gives off light, as the moon or a star.
6. a torch.
7. lamps , Slang. the eyes.
8. smell of the lamp , to give evidence of laborious study or effort: His dissertation smells of the lamp.
9. Slang. to look at; eye.
[ 1150-1200; ME lampe lampada, for L lampas (s. lampad- ) lampás lamp; akin to lámpe torch, lamp, lámpein to shine ]