Meaning of NORTH in English
/nawrth/ , n.
1. a cardinal point of the compass, lying in the plane of the meridian and to the left of a person facing the rising sun. Abbr.: N
2. the direction in which this point lies.
3. ( usually cap. ) a region or territory situated in this direction.
4. the North , the northern area of the United States, esp. the states that fought to preserve the Union in the Civil War, lying to the north of the Ohio River, and usually including Missouri and Maryland.
5. ( cap. ) See North Country .
6. the north wind.
7. in, toward, or facing, the north: the north gate.
8. directed or proceeding toward the north: a north course.
9. coming from the north: a north wind.
10. ( usually cap. ) designating the northern part of a region, nation, country, etc.: North Atlantic.
11. to, toward, or in the north: sailing north.
[ bef. 900; ME, OE, c. D noord, G Nord, ON northr ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012