— oilless , adj. — oillessness , n. — oillike , adj.
/oyl/ , n.
1. any of a large class of substances typically unctuous, viscous, combustible, liquid at ordinary temperatures, and soluble in ether or alcohol but not in water: used for anointing, perfuming, lubricating, illuminating, heating, etc.
2. a substance of this or similar consistency.
3. refined or crude petroleum.
a. See oil color .
b. See oil painting .
5. Informal. unctuous hypocrisy; flattery.
6. an oilskin garment.
7. Australian and New Zealand Slang. facts or news; information: good oil.
8. pour oil on troubled waters , to attempt to calm a difficult or tense situation, as an argument.
9. strike oil ,
a. to discover oil, esp. to bring in a well.
b. to have good luck, esp. financially; make an important and valuable discovery: They struck oil only after years of market research.
10. to smear, lubricate, or supply with oil.
11. to bribe.
12. to make unctuous or smooth: to oil his words.
13. to convert into oil by melting, as butter.
14. pertaining to or resembling oil.
15. using oil, esp. as a fuel: an oil furnace.
16. concerned with the production or use of oil: an offshore oil rig.
17. made with oil.
18. obtained from oil.
[ 1125-75; ME olie, oile oleum, olivum (olive) oil oleivum (cf. DEUS) élaiwon (Attic élaion ), deriv. of * elaíwa OLIVE ]