Meaning of PHANTOM in English
— phantomlike , adj.
/fan"teuhm/ , n.
1. an apparition or specter.
2. an appearance or illusion without material substance, as a dream image, mirage, or optical illusion.
3. a person or thing of merely illusory power, status, efficacy, etc.: the phantom of fear.
4. an illustration, part of which is given a transparent effect so as to permit representation of details otherwise hidden from view, as the inner workings of a mechanical device.
5. of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a phantom; illusory: a phantom sea serpent.
6. Elect. noting or pertaining to a phantom circuit.
7. named, included, or recorded but nonexistent; fictitious: Payroll checks were made out and cashed for phantom employees.
Also, fantom .
[ 1250-1300; ME fantosme phantasma PHANTASM ]
Syn. 1, 2. See apparition. 5. imaginary.
Ant. 5. real, material.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012