Meaning of PIGMENT in English
/pig"meuhnt/ , n.
1. a dry insoluble substance, usually pulverized, which when suspended in a liquid vehicle becomes a paint, ink, etc.
2. a coloring matter or substance.
3. Biol. any substance whose presence in the tissues or cells of animals or plants colors them.
4. to color; add pigment to.
5. to become pigmented; acquire color; develop pigmentation: a poor quality of paper that doesn't pigment well.
[ 1350-1400; ME pigmentum paint, equiv. to pig- (s. of pingere to PAINT) + -mentum -MENT ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012