— provisionality, provisionalness , n. — provisionally , adv.
/preuh vizh"euh nl/ , adj.
1. providing or serving for the time being only; existing only until permanently or properly replaced; temporary: a provisional government.
2. accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary.
3. ( usually cap. ) of or being the wing of the Irish Republican Army that follows a policy of violence.
4. Philately. a stamp that serves temporarily, pending the appearance of the regular issue, or during a temporary shortage of the regular stamps.
5. a provisional member of a group.
6. ( usually cap. ) a member of the Provisional wing of the Irish Republican Army.
Also, provisionary /preuh vizh"euh ner'ee/ (for defs. 1, 2).
[ 1595-1605; PROVISION + -AL 1 ]