Meaning of SIX in English
/siks/ , n.
1. a cardinal number, five plus one.
2. a symbol for this number, as 6 or VI.
3. a set of this many persons or things.
4. a playing card, die face, or half of a domino face with six pips.
5. Cricket. a hit in which the ball crosses the boundary line of the field without a bounce, counting six runs for the batsman. Cf. boundary (def. 3).
6. an automobile powered by a six-cylinder engine.
7. a six-cylinder engine.
8. at sixes and sevens ,
a. in disorder or confusion.
b. in disagreement or dispute.
9. amounting to six in number.
[ bef. 900; ME six, sex, OE siex, syx, seox, sex; c. D zes, LG ses, G sechs, ON sex, Goth saihs, L sex, Gk héx, Skt sas ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012