Meaning of SUSPENSION in English
/seuh spen"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act of suspending.
2. the state of being suspended.
3. temporary abrogation or withholding, as of a law, privilege, decision, belief, etc.
4. stoppage of payment of debts or claims because of financial inability or insolvency.
a. the state in which the particles of a substance are mixed with a fluid but are undissolved.
b. a substance in such a state.
6. Physical Chem. a system consisting of small particles kept dispersed by agitation (mechanical suspension) or by the molecular motion in the surrounding medium (colloidal suspension) .
7. something on or by which something else is suspended or hung.
8. something that is suspended or hung.
9. Also called suspension system . the arrangement of springs, shock absorbers, hangers, etc., in an automobile, railway car, etc., connecting the wheel-suspension units or axles to the chassis frame.
10. Elect. a wire, filament, or group of wires by which the conducting part of an instrument or device is suspended.
a. the prolongation of a tone in one chord into the following chord, usually producing a temporary dissonance.
b. the tone so prolonged.
12. Rhet. the heightening of interest by delay of the main subject or clause, especially by means of a series of parallel preceding elements.
[ 1520-30; suspension- (s. of suspensio ), equiv. to suspens ( us ) (see SUSPENSE) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 1-3. intermission, interruption, discontinuance, cessation, abeyance, hiatus.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012