— tubeless , adj. — tubelike , adj.
/toohb, tyoohb/ , n. , v. , tubed, tubing .
1. a hollow, usually cylindrical body of metal, glass, rubber, or other material, used esp. for conveying or containing liquids or gases.
2. a small, collapsible, cylinder of metal or plastic sealed at one end and having a capped opening at the other from which paint, toothpaste, or some other semifluid substance may be squeezed.
3. Anat. , Zool. any hollow, cylindrical vessel or organ: the bronchial tubes.
a. any hollow, elongated body or part.
b. the united lower portion of a gamopetalous corolla or a gamosepalous calyx.
5. See inner tube .
6. Electronics. See electron tube .
b. a television set.
8. See mailing tube .
9. the tubular tunnel in which an underground railroad runs.
10. the railroad itself.
11. Surfing Slang. the curled hollow formed on the underside of a cresting wave.
12. Brit. subway (def. 1).
13. Australian Slang. a can of beer.
14. Older Slang. a telescope.
15. down the tube or tubes , Informal. into a ruined, wasted, or abandoned state or condition.
16. to furnish with a tube or tubes.
17. to convey or enclose in a tube.
18. to form into the shape of a tube; make tubular.
[ 1590-1600; tubus pipe ]