Meaning of PROFILE in English
— profiler , n.
/proh"fuyl/ , n. , v. , profiled, profiling .
1. the outline or contour of the human face, esp. the face viewed from one side.
2. a picture or representation of the side view of a head.
3. an outlined view, as of a city or mountain.
4. an outline of an object, as a molding, formed on a vertical plane passed through the object at right angles to one of its principal horizontal dimensions.
5. a drawing or the like representing this.
6. Survey. a vertical section of the ground surface taken parallel to a survey line. Cf. cross section (def. 6). See diagram under contour map .
7. a verbal, arithmetical, or graphic summary or analysis of the history, status, etc., of a process, activity, relationship, or set of characteristics: a biochemical profile of a patient's blood; a profile of national consumer spending.
8. an informal biography or a concisely presented sketch of the life and character of a person.
9. a set of characteristics or qualities that identify a type or category of person or thing: a profile of a typical allergy sufferer.
10. the look, configuration, or lines of something: cars with a modern profile.
11. degree of noticeability; visibility.
12. Psychol. a description of behavioral and personality traits of a person compared with accepted norms or standards.
13. Theat. a flat stage property or scenic piece cut from a firm, thin material, as of beaverboard or plywood, and having an irregular edge resembling the silhouette of a natural object.
14. (in a gear) the outline of either end of a tooth.
15. Naval Archit. a longitudinal elevation or section of a vessel. Cf. outboard profile .
16. to draw a profile of.
17. to produce or present a history, description, or analysis of: The magazine will profile the candidate in its next issue.
[ 1650-60; (n.) prof ( f ) ilo, n. deriv. of profilare to delineate, outline, equiv. to pro- PRO- 1 + -filare, deriv. of filo line, thread filum ]
Syn. 1. silhouette.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012