Meaning of TILE in English
— tilelike , adj.
/tuyl/ , n. , v. , tiled, tiling .
1. a thin slab or bent piece of baked clay, sometimes painted or glazed, used for various purposes, as to form one of the units of a roof covering, floor, or revetment.
2. any of various similar slabs or pieces, as of linoleum, stone, rubber, or metal.
3. tiles collectively.
4. a pottery tube or pipe used for draining land.
5. Also called hollow tile . any of various hollow or cellular units of burnt clay or other materials, as gypsum or cinder concrete, for building walls, partitions, floors, and roofs, or for fireproofing steelwork or the like.
6. Informal. a stiff hat or high silk hat.
7. to cover with or as with tiles.
[ bef. 900; ME; OE tigele (c. G Ziegel ) tegula ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012