air ‧ port S3 W3 /ˈeəpɔːt $ ˈerpɔːrt/ BrE AmE noun [countable]
a place where planes take off and land, with buildings for passengers to wait in ⇨ airfield :
The plane landed at Heathrow Airport.
Her family went to see her off at the airport.
• • •
▪ terminal a big building where people wait to get onto planes:
The airline uses terminal 4.
Smoking is prohibited inside the terminal building.
▪ runway a long hard surface on which aircraft land and take off:
The plane was taxiing along the runway.
▪ the tarmac an area covered with tarmac outside airport buildings:
He stepped off the plane onto the tarmac.
▪ check-in (desk) a place where you report your arrival at an airport
▪ departure lounge the place where you wait until your plane is ready to leave
▪ departure gate the place you go through to get on your plane:
Will passengers for flight BA670 please go to the departure gate.
▪ baggage reclaim ( also baggage claim ) American English the place where you collect your cases and bags after a flight
▪ immigration the place where officials check the documents of everyone entering the country:
Be prepared for long queues at immigration.
▪ customs the place where your bags are checked for illegal goods when you enter a country:
We had our bags checked at customs.