Meaning of DEVELOPMENT in English
de ‧ vel ‧ op ‧ ment S1 W1 /dɪˈveləpmənt/ BrE AmE noun
[ Word Family: noun : ↑ developer , ↑ development , ↑ redevelopment ; verb : ↑ develop , ↑ redevelop ; adjective : ↑ developed ≠ ↑ undeveloped , ↑ developing ]
1 . GROWTH [uncountable] the process of gradually becoming bigger, better, stronger, or more advanced:
a course on the development of Greek thought
opportunities for professional development
2 . ECONOMIC ACTIVITY [uncountable] the process of increasing business, trade, and industrial activity
economic/industrial/business etc development
economic development in Russia
3 . EVENT [countable] a new event or piece of news that changes a situation:
recent political developments in the former Soviet Union
We will keep you informed of developments.
4 . NEW PLAN/PRODUCT [uncountable] the process of working on a new product, plan, idea etc to make it successful:
The funds will be used for marketing and product development.
Spielberg has several interesting projects under development.
5 . IMPROVEMENT [countable] a change that makes a product, plan, idea etc better:
There have been significant computer developments during the last decade.
6 . BUILDING PROCESS [uncountable] the process of planning and building new houses, streets etc on land
The land was sold for development.
7 . HOUSES/OFFICES ETC [countable] a group of new buildings that have all been planned and built together on the same piece of land:
a new housing development
• • •
COLLOCATIONS (for Meaning 2)
▪ economic/industrial/business etc development
The US has been keen to encourage economic development in Egypt.
▪ regional development (=development of particular regions of a country or area)
a programme of regional development in Eastern Europe
▪ sustainable development (=that is able to continue without damaging the environment)
The government is committed to sustainable development and the protection of the environment.
▪ overseas development (=in other countries, especially poor ones)
The Overseas Development Minister announced a £7,000,000 emergency aid programme for Somalia.
▪ support/assist development ( also further/facilitate development formal )
We need to facilitate development and economic activity that provides jobs.
■ development + NOUN
▪ a development programme/plan/project
the United Nations Development Programme
▪ a development agency (=organization that aims to help development in poor areas)
international development agencies
▪ development work (=the work of helping development in poor areas)
Further funds are required to allow the development work to continue.
▪ development aid (=money given to help development in poor areas)
Education made up 22.5 percent of development aid last year.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Longman - Словарь современного английского языка. 2012