Meaning of OPEN in English
[open] adj open.er ; open.est [ME, fr. OE; akin to OHG offan open, OE up up] (bef. 12c) 1: having no enclosing or confining barrier: accessible on all or nearly all sides "cattle grazing on an ~ range"
2. a (1): being in a position or adjustment to permit passage: not shut or locked "an ~ door" (2): having a barrier (as a door) so adjusted as to allow passage "the house was ~" b: having the lips parted "stood there with his mouth wide ~" c: not buttoned or zipped "an ~ shirt" 3 a: completely free from concealment: exposed to general view or knowledge "their hostilities eventually erupted with ~ war" b: exposed or vulnerable to attack or question: subject "~ to doubt"
4. a: not covered with a top, roof, or lid "an ~ car" "her eyes were ~" b: having no protective covering "~ wiring" "an ~ wound"
5: not restricted to a particular group or category of participants "~ to the public" "~ housing": as a: enterable by both amateur and professional contestants "an ~ tournament" b: enterable by a registered voter regardless of political affiliation "an ~ primary"
6: fit to be traveled over: presenting no obstacle to passage or view "the ~ road" "~ country" 7: having the parts or surfaces laid out in an expanded position: spread out: unfolded "an ~ book"
8. a (1): low 13 (2): formed with the tongue in a lower position "Italian has an ~ and a close e" b (1): having clarity and resonance unimpaired by undue tension or constriction of the throat "an ~ vocal tone" (2) of a tone: produced by an open string or on a wind instrument by the lip without the use of slides, valves, or keys
9. a: available to follow or make use of "the only course ~ to us" b: not taken up with duties or engagements "keep an hour ~ on Friday" c: not finally decided: subject to further consideration "the salary is ~" "an ~ question" d: available for a qualified applicant: vacant "the job is still ~" e: remaining available for use or filling until canceled "an ~ order for more items" f: available for future purchase "these items are in ~ stock"
10. a: characterized by ready accessibility and usu. generous attitude: as (1): generous in giving (2): willing to hear and consider or to accept and deal with: responsive (3): free from reserve or pretense: frank b: accessible to the influx of new factors (as foreign goods) "an ~ market" 11 a: having openings, interruptions, or spaces: as (1): being porous and friable "~ soil" (2): sparsely distributed: scattered "~ population" (3) of a compound: having components separated by a space in writing or printing (as opaque pr adv -- open.ly adv -- open.ness n
open vb opened ; open.ing vt (bef. 12c) 1 a: to move (as a door) from a closed position b: to make available for entry or passage by turning back (as a barrier) or removing (as a cover or an obstruction)
2. a: to make available for or active in a regular function "~ a new store" b: to make accessible for a particular purpose "~ed new land for settlement" "~ the way for changes" c: to initiate access to (a computer file) prior to use 3 a: to disclose or expose to view: reveal b: to make more discerning or responsive: enlighten "must ~ our minds to the problems" c: to bring into view or come in sight of by changing position
4. a: to make an opening in "~ed the boil" b: to loosen and make less compact "~ the soil"
5: to spread out: unfold "~ed the book"
6. a: to enter upon: begin "~ed the meeting" b: to commence action in a card game by making (a first bid), putting a first bet in (the pot), or playing (a card or suit) as first lead 7: to restore or recall (as an order) from a finally determined state to a state in which the parties are free to prosecute or oppose ~ vi 1: to become open "the office ~ed early"
2. a: to spread out: expand "the wound ~ed under the strain" b: to become disclosed "a beautiful vista ~ed before us"
3: to become enlightened or responsive
4: to give access "the rooms ~ onto a hall"
5: speak out
2. "finally he ~ed freely on the subject"
6. a: to begin a course or activity "the play ~s on Tuesday" b: to make a bet, bid, or lead in commencing a round or hand of a card game -- open.abil.i.ty n -- open.able adj open n (13c) 1: opening
2: open and unobstructed space: as a: open air b: open water
3: an open contest, competition, or tournament
4: a public or unconcealed state or position
Merriam-Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Merriam Webster. 2012