▪ left , right
the muscles of the upper ~
▪ muscular , powerful , strong
▪ bony , skinny , slender , thin
He used his good ~ to support his weight.
▪ aching , bad , bleeding , broken , bruised , injured , sore , weak
I have a sore ~, so I'm afraid I can't help you.
▪ raised , upraised
▪ extended , open ( often figurative ), outstretched
They're sure to welcome you with open ~s.
▪ comforting , loving , protective
He placed a comforting ~ around her shoulder.
▪ waiting , welcoming
Kris collapsed into her mother's waiting ~s.
▪ crossed , folded
He stood there with crossed ~s, looking angry.
▪ shaking , trembling
She ducked his flailing ~s.
VERB + ARM
▪ bend , flex , move
▪ lift , lower , raise
The figure in the boat raised an ~.
▪ flap , swing , wave
He was running forward, waving his ~s.
▪ break , dislocate , hurt , twist
▪ extend , hold out , open , stretch out
He held out his ~s with a broad smile.
▪ cross , fold
She folded her ~s and stared at him.
▪ uncross , unfold
▪ hook , link
The couple linked ~s and set off along the beach.
▪ catch , catch at , catch hold of , clutch , grab , grasp , take
A hand reached out and caught hold of her ~.
She moved closer to her father and took his ~.
▪ grip , hold , pat , squeeze , touch
▪ fall into
They fell into each other's ~s.
▪ draw sb into , gather sb into , pull sb into , take sb in
He pulled her into his ~s and kissed her.
▪ hold sb in
ARM + VERB
▪ dangle , hang
His ~ hung awkwardly against his side.
▪ circle , slide , slip
His ~s slid around her.
Kate's right ~ flung around.
▪ cradle sb/sth
▪ clutch sb/sth
His ~s clutched his stomach.
Her ~s were resting on the table.
Her ~s tightened convulsively around the child.
▪ shake , tremble
▪ flail , swing , wave
ARM + NOUN
▪ motion , movement
▪ stroke , swing
▪ by the ~
The officer grabbed him by the ~ ( = grabbed his arm ).
▪ in sb's ~s
The child lay in its mother's ~s.
▪ on the ~
She touched him gently on the ~.
▪ on your ~
Lucy felt the warm sun on her bare ~s.
He walked in with a tall blonde on his ~ ( = next to him and holding his arm ).
▪ under an/one/your ~
She carried the dog under one ~.
▪ ~ in ~
They walked along ~ in ~ ( = with the arm of one person linked with the arm of the other )
▪ at arm's length
He held the dirty rag at arm's length (= as far away from his body as possible) .
▪ the crook of an/sb's ~
She lay curled up in the crook of his ~.
▪ fling your ~s around sb/sth , put your ~s around sb/sth , throw your ~s around sb/sth
He ran up to her and flung his ~s around her.
▪ in each other's ~s
They fell asleep in each other's ~s (= holding each other) .
▪ with ~s akimbo (= with your arms bent and your hands on your hips)
She stood looking at him with ~s akimbo.