Meaning of BUILDING in English
1 house, church, school, etc.
▪ big , high-rise , huge , large , massive , tall , towering
▪ low , low-rise , single-storey/single-story , small
▪ attractive ( esp. BrE ), beautiful , fine , grand , imposing , impressive , landmark , magnificent
The opera house is one of the city's landmark ~s.
▪ condemned , crumbling , derelict , dilapidated , ramshackle , run-down , tumbledown ( BrE )
▪ abandoned , empty
▪ ancient , historic , old
Both architects specialize in the restoration of historic ~s.
▪ 17th-century , etc.
▪ listed ( BrE )
They were refused planning permission for an extension because it was a Grade II listed ~.
▪ brick , concrete , stone , timber , wooden , etc.
▪ green (= good for the environment)
▪ commercial , industrial , residential
The prices of commercial and residential ~s increased by 13.4%.
▪ civic , municipal , public
▪ federal , government
▪ administration , administrative
▪ apartment ( AmE ), tenement
Housing is limited and most people live in high-rise apartment ~s.
▪ church , factory , farm , headquarters , hospital , museum , office , parliament , prison , school
▪ airport , terminal
▪ campus ( esp. AmE )
▪ dorm , dormitory (both AmE )
▪ downtown ( AmE )
▪ entire , whole
▪ adjacent , nearby , surrounding
VERB + BUILDING
▪ build , construct , erect , put up
Several new ~s are now being put up.
▪ demolish , destroy , flatten , gut , knock down , pull down ( BrE ), raze , tear down
The ~ was gutted by fire.
▪ renovate , restore
They're renovating the old farm ~s.
In 2008 the ~ was converted into a house.
BUILDING + VERB
▪ house sth
▪ sit , stand
a central square, where two ~s stand
2 process/business of building sth
▪ brand ( business ), community , coalition , empire , nation , team
BUILDING + NOUN
▪ company , contractor , firm ( esp. BrE ), industry , sector , trade
▪ programme/program , project , scheme ( BrE )
▪ activity , development , work
We're having some ~ work done.
▪ code ( AmE ), controls , regulations
▪ land ( esp. BrE )
▪ site ( esp. BrE ) (usually construction site in AmE )
▪ method , technique
▪ contractor , inspector , worker
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012