▪ big , important , main , major , relevant , significant
one of the most significant ~s
▪ critical , crucial , deciding , decisive , determining , key , vital
This is regarded as the crucial ~ in deciding who should get priority.
Money proved to be the deciding ~.
▪ contributing , contributory
Poor organization was certainly a contributory ~ to the crisis.
A complicating ~ is her parents' refusal to cooperate with the police.
The appeal judges spoke of strong mitigating ~s in the case.
The closure of the mine was the single most important ~ in the town's decline.
Look for the common ~ in all these cases.
▪ external , extraneous , extrinsic
External ~s in the production of disease include pollution of the environment.
▪ internal , intrinsic
▪ causal , causative
Studies have established that smoking is a risk ~ for cancer.
▪ contextual , demographic , economic , environmental , genetic , political , psychological , situational , social
The human ~ is crucial to success in team management.
VERB + FACTOR
▪ consider , take into account
A variety of other ~s will be taken into account.
▪ depend on
FACTOR + VERB
▪ be involved , operate
the contextual ~s which operate to hinder understanding
▪ affect sth , be responsible for sth , cause sth , contribute to sth , determine sth , influence sth , predispose sb/sth to sth
environmental ~s which predispose children to middle-ear infections
▪ explain sth
▪ constrain sth , inhibit sth , militate against sth
one of the ~s that influenced his decision
We examine how economic and social ~s interact.
▪ include sth
▪ be at play
There are several ~s at play here.
▪ ~ behind
the main ~s behind the dollar's weakness
▪ ~ in
a key ~ in the decision
▪ a combination, number, variety, etc. of ~s
The outcome will depend on a number of ~s.