Meaning of LICENCE in English
( BrE ) ( AmE license ) noun
▪ compulsory ( esp. AmE )
▪ driver's ( AmE ), driving ( BrE ), pilot ( AmE ), pilot's ( esp. BrE )
▪ business , commercial , export , import , operating , trade , trading
The government is currently granting no operating ~s to foreign companies.
▪ casino , gaming
▪ fishing , hunting
▪ television , TV ( both in the UK )
▪ entertainment , music
The bar was refused a music ~.
▪ hotel , liquor ( AmE ), refreshment , restaurant
▪ medical , teaching
VERB + LICENCE/LICENSE
▪ have , hold
You have to have a ~ to sell beer.
Applicants must hold a valid driving/driver's ~.
▪ buy , gain ( formal ), get , obtain , receive , win
She gained her private pilot's ~.
I got my ~ when I was eighteen.
▪ apply for , make an application for
▪ award (sb) , grant (sb) , issue (sb)
▪ deny sb , refuse sb
▪ revoke , suspend , take away
He's had his ~ taken away.
She lost her driving ~ when she was caught over the limit.
LICENCE/LICENSE + VERB
▪ expire , run out
The ~ expires at the end of the year.
LICENCE/LICENSE + NOUN
▪ number , plate (both AmE )
▪ in a/the ~
All these details are specified in the ~.
▪ under a/the ~
The weapons were exported under a special export ~.
▪ under ~
They are Italian trains, but they will be built in Germany under ~.
▪ ~ for
a ~ for software manufacture
▪ ~ from
a ~ from the Performing Rights Society
▪ the holder of a ~
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012