Meaning of METHOD in English
▪ accurate , effective , efficient , good , practical , reliable , tried-and-tested ( esp. BrE ), tried-and-true ( esp. AmE )
Which ~ is the most effective?
the preferred ~ of testing for each nutrient
an indirect ~ of estimating a taxpayer's income
▪ common , conventional , principal , standard , traditional , usual , well-established
▪ innovative , new , novel
improved teaching ~s and better interaction with students
▪ alternative , other
▪ different , various
▪ ingenious , unconventional , unorthodox , unusual
▪ accounting , farming , instructional ( AmE ), research , scientific , teaching , training , working ~s
modern farming ~s
▪ analytic ( esp. AmE ), analytical , computational , experimental , heuristic , mathematical , quantitative , statistical
This illustrates how experimental ~s can be used to explore these issues.
a range of contraceptive ~s
VERB + METHOD
▪ adopt , apply , employ , follow , implement , use , utilize
the ~ adopted by the party for the selection of its candidates
We can apply these ~s to a wide range of problems.
▪ develop , devise , invent , pioneer , work out
New production ~s have been invented.
▪ change , improve
METHOD + VERB
▪ involve sth
This ~ involves cutting a very thin slice from the object.
How does this ~ work?
▪ employ sth , rely on sth , use sth
This ~ employs computer software to guide the interviewers through the questionnaire.
▪ ~ for
an alternative ~ for resolving disputes
▪ ~ of
This is the best ~ of settling such arguments.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012