1 used for transporting people or things
▪ moving , oncoming , passing
She was blinded by the lights from an oncoming ~.
▪ parked , stationary ( esp. BrE )
The bus crashed into a stationary ~.
The thieves escaped in a stolen ~.
▪ horse-drawn , motor
deaths from motor ~ accidents ( AmE )
▪ electric , fuel-cell , hybrid
▪ diesel , gas ( AmE ), gasoline ( AmE ), petrol ( BrE )
▪ fuel-efficient , gas-guzzling
▪ tracked , wheeled
▪ four-by-four ( esp. BrE ), four-wheel-drive
▪ all-terrain , off-road , sport utility (abbreviated to SUV ) ( esp. AmE )
▪ vintage ( esp. BrE )
▪ recreational ( esp. AmE )
▪ private-hire ( BrE )
taxis and private-hire ~s
▪ commercial , delivery ( esp. BrE ), goods ( BrE ), heavy goods (abbreviated to HGV ) ( BrE )
▪ emergency , rescue
▪ amphibious , armoured/armored , fighting , light armoured/armored , military
a Bradley fighting ~
… OF VEHICLES
The president's car was being followed by a convoy of ~s.
VERB + VEHICLE
▪ hire ( esp. BrE ), rent ( esp. AmE )
Hire a four-wheel-drive vehicle—there are lots of spots to discover off the beaten track.
We rented an SUV.
▪ drive , operate
▪ impound , tow ( AmE ), tow away ( BrE )
The ~ was impounded as part of the police investigation.
car owners whose ~s have been towed (away)
Sniffer dogs were brought in to follow the men after they abandoned the ~ in a ditch.
▪ enter , exit ( esp. AmE )
VEHICLE + VERB
▪ break down
▪ collide , crash (into sth)
Two drivers escaped injury when their ~s collided.
▪ run on sth
~s running on biodiesel
▪ be equipped with sth
a ~ equipped with a GPS receiver
VEHICLE + NOUN
tighter controls on ~ emissions
▪ development , manufacture , production
▪ sales ( esp. AmE )
Total ~ sales increased 5% from last year.
▪ crime ( BrE )
Vehicle crime has dropped by 16%.
▪ registration number ( esp. BrE )
He was seen driving away and his ~ registration number was given to the police.
▪ the front of a ~ , the rear of a ~ , the side of a ~
▪ the inside of a ~ , the interior of a ~
2 sth used for communicating ideas/achieving sth
▪ excellent , ideal , perfect
▪ important , main , major
▪ ~ for
The play is a perfect ~ for her talents.
▪ ~ of
the main ~ of communication for students