Meaning of APPEARANCE in English
noun probability; likelihood.
2. appearance ·noun personal presence; exhibition of the person; look; aspect; mien.
3. appearance ·noun a thing seed; a phenomenon; a phase; an apparition; as, an appearance in the sky.
4. appearance ·noun the act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye; as, his sudden appearance surprised me.
5. appearance ·noun the act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character; as, a person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
6. appearance ·noun semblance, or apparent likeness; external show. ·pl outward signs, or circumstances, fitted to make a particular impression or to determine the judgment as to the character of a person or a thing, an act or a state; as, appearances are against him.
7. appearance ·noun the coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012