Meaning of FAMILY in English
vt course of descent; genealogy; line of ancestors; lineage.
2. family ·vt honorable descent; noble or respectable stock; as, a man of family.
3. family ·vt a group of kindred or closely related individuals; as, a family of languages; a family of states; the chlorine family.
4. family ·vt the group comprising a husband and wife and their dependent children, constituting a fundamental unit in the organization of society.
5. family ·vt those who descend from one common progenitor; a tribe, clan, or race; kindred; house; as, the human family; the family of abraham; the father of a family.
6. family ·vt the collective body of persons who live in one house, and under one head or manager; a household, including parents, children, and servants, and, as the case may be, lodgers or boarders.
7. family ·vt a group of organisms, either animal or vegetable, related by certain points of resemblance in structure or development, more comprehensive than a genus, because it is usually based on fewer or less pronounced points of likeness. in zoology a family is less comprehesive than an order; in botany it is often considered the same thing as an order.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012