Meaning of FISH in English
pl of fish.
2. fish ·noun the flesh of fish, used as food.
3. fish ·noun a counter, used in various games.
4. fish ·vt to search by raking or sweeping.
5. fish ·noun a purchase used to fish the anchor.
6. fish ·noun the twelfth sign of the zodiac; pisces.
7. fish ·vt to try with a fishing rod; to catch fish in; as, to fish a stream.
8. fish ·noun a piece of timber, somewhat in the form of a fish, used to strengthen a mast or yard.
9. fish ·vi to seek to obtain by artifice, or indirectly to seek to draw forth; as, to fish for compliments.
10. fish ·vt to catch; to draw out or up; as, to fish up an anchor.
11. fish ·noun a name loosely applied in popular usage to many animals of diverse characteristics, living in the water.
12. fish ·vi to attempt to catch fish; to be employed in taking fish, by any means, as by angling or drawing a net.
13. fish ·noun an oviparous, vertebrate animal usually having fins and a covering scales or plates. it breathes by means of gills, and lives almost entirely in the water. ·see pisces.
14. fish ·vt to strengthen (a beam, mast, ·etc.), or unite end to end (two timbers, railroad rails, ·etc.) by bolting a plank, timber, or plate to the beam, mast, or timbers, lengthwise on one or both sides. ·see fish joint, under fish, ·noun.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012