Meaning of IRON in English
noun rude; hard; harsh; severe.
2. iron ·noun fetters; chains; handcuffs; manacles.
3. iron ·noun inflexible; unrelenting; as, an iron will.
4. iron ·noun resembling iron in color; as, iron blackness.
5. iron ·vt to shackle with irons; to fetter or handcuff.
6. iron ·noun firm; robust; enduring; as, an iron constitution.
7. iron ·vt to furnish or arm with iron; as, to iron a wagon.
8. iron ·noun not to be broken; holding or binding fast; tenacious.
9. iron ·noun of, or made of iron; consisting of iron; as, an iron bar, dust.
10. iron ·noun strength; power; firmness; inflexibility; as, to rule with a rod of iron.
11. iron ·noun like iron in hardness, strength, impenetrability, power of endurance, insensibility, ·etc.;.
12. iron ·noun an instrument or utensil made of iron;
chiefly in composition; as, a flatiron, a smoothing iron, ·etc.
13. iron ·add. ·noun an iron-headed club with a deep face, chiefly used in making approaches, lifting a ball over hazards, ·etc.
14. iron ·vt to smooth with an instrument of iron; especially, to smooth, as cloth, with a heated flatiron;
sometimes used with out.
15. iron ·noun the most common and most useful metallic element, being of almost universal occurrence, usually in the form of an oxide (as hematite, magnetite, ·etc.), or a hydrous oxide (as limonite, turgite, ·etc. ). it is reduced on an enormous scale in three principal forms; viz., cast iron, steel, and wrought iron. iron usually appears dark brown, from oxidation or impurity, but when pure, or on a fresh surface, is a gray or white metal. it is easily oxidized (rusted) by moisture, and is attacked by many corrosive agents. symbol fe (latin ferrum). atomic weight 55.9. specific gravity, pure iron, 7.86; cast iron, 7.1. in magnetic properties, it is superior to all other substances.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012