2. length ·vt to lengthen.
3. length ·adj a portion of space or of time considered as measured by its length;
often in the plural.
4. length ·adj detail or amplification; unfolding; continuance as, to pursue a subject to a great length.
5. length ·adj a single piece or subdivision of a series, or of a number of long pieces which may be connected together; as, a length of pipe; a length of fence.
6. length ·adj the quality or state of being long, in space or time; extent; duration; as, some sea birds are remarkable for the length of their wings; he was tired by the length of the sermon, and the length of his walk.
7. length ·adj the longest, or longer, dimension of any object, in distinction from breadth or width; extent of anything from end to end; the longest line which can be drawn through a body, parallel to its sides; as, the length of a church, or of a ship; the length of a rope or line.