Meaning of MEAN in English
noun meantime; meanwhile.
2. mean ·noun a mediator; a go-between.
3. mean ·vi to have a purpose or intention.
4. mean ·superl of poor quality; as, mean fare.
5. mean ·adj intermediate in excellence of any kind.
6. mean ·superl penurious; stingy; close-fisted; illiberal; as, mean hospitality.
7. mean ·superl destitute of distinction or eminence; common; low; vulgar; humble.
8. mean ·adj occupying a middle position; middle; being about midway between extremes.
9. mean ·noun a part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part.
10. mean ·superl of little value or account; worthy of little or no regard; contemptible; despicable.
11. mean ·superl wanting dignity of mind; low-minded; base; destitute of honor; spiritless; as, a mean motive.
12. mean ·vt to signify; to indicate; to import; to denote.
13. mean ·noun that through which, or by the help of which, an end is attained; something tending to an object desired; intermediate agency or measure; necessary condition or coagent; instrument.
14. mean ·vt to have in the mind, as a purpose, intention, ·etc.; to intend; to purpose; to design; as, what do you mean to do ?.
15. mean ·noun hence: resources; property, revenue, or the like, considered as the condition of easy livelihood, or an instrumentality at command for effecting any purpose; disposable force or substance.
xvi. mean ·adj average; having an intermediate value between two extremes, or between the several successive values of a variable quantity during one cycle of variation; as, mean distance; mean motion; mean solar day.
xvii. mean ·noun that which is mean, or intermediate, between two extremes of place, time, or number; the middle point or place; middle rate or degree; mediocrity; medium; absence of extremes or excess; moderation; measure.
xviii. mean ·noun a quantity having an intermediate value between several others, from which it is derived, and of which it expresses the resultant value; usually, unless otherwise specified, it is the simple average, formed by adding the quantities together and dividing by their number, which is called an arithmetical mean. a geometrical mean is the square root of the product of the quantities.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012