Meaning of QUARTER in English
vt friendship; amity; concord.
2. quarter ·vi to lodge; to have a temporary residence.
3. quarter ·vt proper station; specific place; assigned position; special location.
4. quarter ·noun that part of a boot or shoe which forms the side, from the heel to the vamp.
5. quarter ·vt a station at which officers and men are posted in battle;
usually in the plural.
6. quarter ·vt place of lodging or temporary residence; shelter; entertainment;
usually in the plural.
7. quarter ·noun that part on either side of a horse's hoof between the toe and heel, being the side of the coffin.
8. quarter ·vt a small upright timber post, used in partitions;
in the united states more commonly called stud.
9. quarter ·vt a division of a town, city, or county; a particular district; a locality; as, the latin quarter in paris.
10. quarter ·noun the fourth part of the moon's period, or monthly revolution; as, the first quarter after the change or full.
11. quarter ·vt a station or encampment occupied by troops; a place of lodging for soldiers or officers; as, winter quarters.
12. quarter ·noun the encampment on one of the principal passages round a place besieged, to prevent relief and intercept convoys.
13. quarter ·noun a term of study in a seminary, college, etc, ·etc.; properly, a fourth part of the year, but often longer or shorter.
14. quarter ·noun the fourth of a hundred-weight, being 25 or 28 pounds, according as the hundredweight is reckoned at 100 or 112 pounds.
15. quarter ·vi to drive a carriage so as to prevent the wheels from going into the ruts, or so that a rut shall be between the wheels.
xvi. quarter ·noun the fourth of a ton in weight, or eight bushels of grain; as, a quarter of wheat; also, the fourth part of a chaldron of coal.
xvii. quarter ·noun one of the divisions of an escutcheon when it is divided into four portions by a horizontal and a perpendicular line meeting in the fess point.
xviii. quarter ·noun the after-part of a vessel's side, generally corresponding in extent with the quarter-deck; also, the part of the yardarm outside of the slings.
xix. quarter ·vt treatment shown by an enemy; mercy; especially, the act of sparing the life a conquered enemy; a refraining from pushing one's advantage to extremes.
xx. quarter ·vt the fourth part of the distance from one point of the compass to another, being the fourth part of 11° 15', that is, about 2° 49';
called also quarter point.
xxi. quarter ·noun one limb of a quadruped with the adjacent parts; one fourth part of the carcass of a slaughtered animal, including a leg; as, the fore quarters; the hind quarters.
xxii. quarter ·noun one of four equal parts into which anything is divided, or is regarded as divided; a fourth part or portion; as, a quarter of a dollar, of a pound, of a yard, of an hour, ·etc.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012