vt to draw or go back.
2. recoil ·noun the state or condition of having recoiled.
3. recoil ·noun specifically, the reaction or rebounding of a firearm when discharged.
4. recoil ·vi to turn or go back; to withdraw one's self; to retire.
5. recoil ·noun a starting or falling back; a rebound; a shrinking; as, the recoil of nature, or of the blood.
6. recoil ·vi to draw back, as from anything repugnant, distressing, alarming, or the like; to shrink.
7. recoil ·vi to start, roll, bound, spring, or fall back; to take a reverse motion; to be driven or forced backward; to return.