Meaning of RUNNER in English
noun any cursorial bird.
2. runner ·noun a smuggler.
3. runner ·noun a detective.
4. runner ·noun a messenger.
5. runner ·noun one who, or that which, runs; a racer.
6. runner ·noun the rotating stone of a set of millstones.
7. runner ·noun the movable piece to which the ribs of an umbrella are attached.
8. runner ·noun one employed to solicit patronage, as for a steamboat, hotel, shop, ·etc.
9. runner ·noun a tool on which lenses are fastened in a group, for polishing or grinding.
10. runner ·noun a movable slab or rubber used in grinding or polishing a surface of stone.
11. runner ·noun a rope rove through a block and used to increase the mechanical power of a tackle.
12. runner ·noun a trough or channel for leading molten metal from a furnace to a ladle, mold, or pig bed.
13. runner ·noun one of the pieces on which a sled or sleigh slides; also the part or blade of a skate which slides on the ice.
14. runner ·noun a slender trailing branch which takes root at the joints or end and there forms new plants, as in the strawberry and the common cinquefoil.
15. runner ·noun a horizontal channel in a mold, through which the metal flows to the cavity formed by the pattern; also, the waste metal left in such a channel.
xvi. runner ·noun a food fish (elagatis pinnulatus) of florida and the west indies;
called also skipjack, shoemaker, and yellowtail. the name alludes to its rapid successive leaps from the water.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012