Meaning of SUBSTANCE in English
noun ·same·as hypostasis, 2.
2. substance ·noun material possessions; estate; property; resources.
3. substance ·vt to furnish or endow with substance; to supply property to; to make rich.
4. substance ·noun the most important element in any existence; the characteristic and essential components of anything; the main part; essential import; purport.
5. substance ·noun body; matter; material of which a thing is made; hence, substantiality; solidity; firmness; as, the substance of which a garment is made; some textile fabrics have little substance.
6. substance ·noun that which underlies all outward manifestations; substratum; the permanent subject or cause of phenomena, whether material or spiritual; that in which properties inhere; that which is real, in distinction from that which is apparent; the abiding part of any existence, in distinction from any accident; that which constitutes anything what it is; real or existing essence.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012