noun verbal contention; dispute.
2. word ·noun signal; order; command; direction.
3. word ·noun talk; discourse; speech; language.
4. word ·vt to express in words; to phrase.
5. word ·vt to flatter with words; to cajole.
6. word ·vt to ply with words; also, to cause to be by the use of a word or words.
7. word ·noun a brief remark or observation; an expression; a phrase, clause, or short sentence.
8. word ·noun account; tidings; message; communication; information;
used only in the singular.
9. word ·vi to use words, as in discussion; to argue; to dispute.
10. word ·noun hence, the written or printed character, or combination of characters, expressing such a term; as, the words on a page.
11. word ·noun language considered as implying the faith or authority of the person who utters it; statement; affirmation; declaration; promise.
12. word ·noun the spoken sign of a conception or an idea; an articulate or vocal sound, or a combination of articulate and vocal sounds, uttered by the human voice, and by custom expressing an idea or ideas; a single component part of human speech or language; a constituent part of a sentence; a term; a vocable.