Meaning of AERIAL in English
— aerially , adv. — aerialness , n.
adj. /air"ee euhl, ay ear"ee euhl/ ; n. /air"ee euhl/ , adj.
1. of, in, or produced by the air: aerial currents.
2. inhabiting or frequenting the air: aerial creatures.
3. operating on a track or cable elevated above the ground: an aerial ski lift up the mountainside.
4. reaching far into the air; high; lofty: aerial spires.
5. partaking of the nature of air; airy.
6. unsubstantial; visionary: aerial fancies.
7. having a light and graceful beauty; ethereal: aerial music.
8. Biol. growing in the air, as the adventitious roots of some trees.
9. pertaining to or used for, against, or in aircraft.
10. supplied or performed by means of aircraft: aerial support; aerial reconnaissance.
11. a radio or television antenna.
12. Football. See forward pass .
[ 1595-1605; 1900-05 for def. 11; aeri ( us ) of the air ( aérios, equiv. to aer- (s. of aér AIR 1 ) + -ios adj. suffix) + -AL 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012