Meaning of ARMY in English
/ahr"mee/ , n. , pl. armies .
1. the military forces of a nation, exclusive of the navy and in some countries the air force.
2. (in large military land forces) a unit consisting typically of two or more corps and a headquarters.
3. a large body of persons trained and armed for war.
4. any body of persons organized for any purpose: an army of census takers.
5. a very large number or group of something; a great multitude; a host: the army of the unemployed.
[ 1350-1400; ME armee armata. Cf. ARMADA ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012