Meaning of CHIMNEY in English
— chimneyless , adj. — chimneylike , adj.
/chim"nee/ , n. , pl. chimneys , v. , chimneyed, chimneying .
1. a structure, usually vertical, containing a passage or flue by which the smoke, gases, etc., of a fire or furnace are carried off and by means of which a draft is created.
2. the part of such a structure that rises above a roof.
3. Now Rare. the smokestack or funnel of a locomotive, steamship, etc.
4. a tube, usually of glass, surrounding the flame of a lamp to promote combustion and keep the flame steady.
a. the vent of a volcano.
b. a narrow vertical fissure between two rock faces or in a rock formation.
6. Mining. a nearly vertical cylindrical oreshoot.
7. Brit. Dial. fireplace.
8. Mountain Climbing. to ascend or descend (a chimney) by repeated bracing of one's feet or back and feet against opposite walls.
9. Mountain Climbing. to ascend or descend a chimney.
[ 1300-50; ME chimenai cheminee camera ) caminata (room) having a fireplace, equiv. to camin ( us ) ( káminos furnace) + -ata -ATE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012