Meaning of COAL in English
— coalless , adj.
/kohl/ , n.
1. a black or dark-brown combustible mineral substance consisting of carbonized vegetable matter, used as a fuel. Cf. anthracite, bituminous coal, lignite .
2. a piece of glowing, charred, or burned wood or other combustible substance.
3. charcoal (def. 1).
4. heap coals of fire on someone's head , to repay evil with good in order to make one's enemy repent.
5. rake, haul, drag, call , or take over the coals , to reprimand; scold: They were raked over the coals for turning out slipshod work.
6. to burn to coal or charcoal.
7. to provide with coal.
8. to take in coal for fuel.
[ bef. 900; ME cole, OE col; c. D kool, G Kohle, ON kol ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012