Meaning of COFFER in English
— cofferlike , adj.
/kaw"feuhr, kof"euhr/ , n.
1. a box or chest, esp. one for valuables.
2. coffers , a treasury; funds: The coffers of the organization were rapidly filled by the contributions.
3. any of various boxlike enclosures, as a cofferdam.
4. Also called caisson, lacunar . Archit. one of a number of sunken panels, usually square or octagonal, in a vault, ceiling, or soffit.
5. to deposit or lay up in or as in a coffer or chest.
6. to ornament with coffers or sunken panels.
[ 1250-1300; ME cofre cophinus basket; see COFFIN ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012