Meaning of CONE in English
/kohn/ , n. , v. , coned, coning .
a. a solid whose surface is generated by a line passing through a fixed point and a fixed plane curve not containing the point, consisting of two equal sections joined at a vertex.
b. a plane surface resembling the cross section of a solid cone.
2. anything shaped like a cone: sawdust piled up in a great cone; the cone of a volcano.
3. See ice-cream cone .
a. the more or less conical multiple fruit of the pine, fir, etc., consisting of overlapping or valvate scales bearing naked ovules or seeds; a strobile.
b. a similar fruit, as in cycads or club mosses.
5. Anat. one of the cone-shaped cells in the retina of the eye, sensitive to color and intensity of light. Cf. rod (def. 17).
6. one of a series of cone-shaped markers placed along a road, as around an area of highway construction, esp. to exclude or divert motor vehicles.
7. (in a taper thread screw or bevel gear) an imaginary cone or frustum of a cone concentric to the axis and defining the pitch surface or one of the extremities of the threads or teeth.
8. Ceram. See pyrometric cone .
9. to shape like a cone or a segment of a cone.
[ 1480-90; conus kônos pine-cone, cone-shaped figure; akin to HONE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012