Meaning of CONJUGATE in English
— conjugable /kon"jeuh geuh beuhl/ , adj. — conjugably , adv. — conjugative , adj. — conjugator , n.
v. /kon"jeuh gayt'/ ; adj. , n. /kon"jeuh git, -gayt'/ , v. , conjugated, conjugating , adj. , n.
a. to inflect (a verb).
b. to recite or display all or some subsets of the inflected forms of (a verb), in a fixed order: One conjugates the present tense of the verb "be" as "I am, you are, he is, we are, you are, they are."
2. to join together, esp. in marriage.
3. Biol. to unite; to undergo conjugation.
4. Gram. to be characterized by conjugation: The Latin verb esse does not conjugate in the passive voice.
5. joined together, esp. in a pair or pairs; coupled.
6. Bot. (of a pinnate leaf) having only one pair of leaflets.
7. Gram. (of words) having a common derivation.
8. Bibliog. (of two leaves in a book) forming one sheet.
a. (of two points, lines, etc.) so related as to be interchangeable in the enunciation of certain properties.
b. (of an element) so related to a second element of a group that there exists a third element of the group that, multiplying one element on the right and the other element on the left, results in equal elements.
c. (of two complex numbers) differing only in the sign of the imaginary part.
a. of or noting two or more liquids in equilibrium with one another.
b. (of an acid and a base) related by the loss or gain of a proton: NH 3 is a base conjugate to NH 4 + . NH 4 + is an acid conjugate to NH 3 .
c. Also, conjugated . (of an organic compound) containing two or more double bonds each separated from the other by a single bond.
11. one of a group of conjugate words.
a. either of two conjugate points, lines, etc.
b. Also called conjugate complex number . either of a pair of complex numbers of the type a + bi and a - bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is imaginary.
[ 1425-75; late ME (adj.) conjugatus (ptp. of conjugare to yoke together), equiv. to con- CON- + jug ( um ) YOKE + -atus -ATE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012