— deviceful , adj. — devicefully , adv. — devicefulness , n.
/di vuys"/ , n.
1. a thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, esp. a mechanical or electrical one.
2. a plan or scheme for effecting a purpose.
3. a crafty scheme; trick.
4. a particular word pattern, figure of speech, combination of word sounds, etc., used in a literary work to evoke a desired effect or arouse a desired reaction in the reader: rhetorical devices.
5. something elaborately or fancifully designed.
6. a representation or design used as a heraldic charge or as an emblem, badge, trademark, or the like.
7. a motto.
8. Archaic. devising; invention.
[ 1375-1425; b. late ME devis division, discourse and devise heraldic device, will; both divisa, fem. of divisus; see DIVISION ]
Syn. 1. gadget. 2. project, design. 3. wile, ruse, artifice, stratagem, maneuver. 7. slogan, legend.