Meaning of FUEL in English
— fueler, fueller , n.
/fyooh"euhl/ , n. , v. , fueled, fueling or ( esp. Brit. ) fuelled, fuelling .
1. combustible matter used to maintain fire, as coal, wood, oil, or gas, in order to create heat or power.
2. something that gives nourishment; food.
3. an energy source for engines, power plants, or reactors: Kerosene is used as jet engine fuel.
4. something that sustains or encourages; stimulant: Our discussion provided him with fuel for debate.
5. to supply with fuel.
6. to obtain or replenish fuel.
[ 1300-50; ME fuel ( le ), feuel feuaile focalia, neut. pl. of * focalis of the hearth, fuel. See FOCUS, -AL 1 ]
Syn. 4. ammunition, sustenance, impetus, stimulus.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012