/fund/ , n.
1. a supply of money or pecuniary resources, as for some purpose: a fund for his education; a retirement fund.
2. supply; stock: a fund of knowledge; a fund of jewels.
3. funds , money immediately available; pecuniary resources: to be momentarily without funds.
4. an organization created to administer or manage a fund, as of money invested or contributed for some special purpose.
5. to provide a fund to pay the interest or principal of (a debt).
6. to convert (general outstanding debts) into a more or less permanent debt, represented by interest-bearing bonds.
7. to allocate or provide funds for (a program, project, etc.).
[ 1670-80; fundus bottom, estate; r. FOND 2 in most of its meanings ]
Syn. 2. store, reservoir, fount, mine, hoard.