Meaning of GRAVEL in English
— gravelish , adj.
/grav"euhl/ , n. , v. , graveled, graveling or ( esp. Brit. ) gravelled, gravelling , adj.
1. small stones and pebbles, or a mixture of these with sand.
a. multiple small calculi formed in the kidneys.
b. the disease characterized by such concretions.
3. to cover with gravel.
4. to bring to a standstill from perplexity; puzzle.
5. Informal. to be a cause of irritation to.
6. Obs. to run (a ship) aground, as on a beach.
7. harsh and grating: a gravel voice.
[ 1250-1300; ME gravele, dim. of grave sandy shore, perh. 4 , GROWAN ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012