/left/ , adj.
1. of, pertaining to, or located on or near the side of a person or thing that is turned toward the west when the subject is facing north (opposed to right ).
2. ( often cap. ) of or belonging to the political Left; having liberal or radical views in politics.
3. Math. pertaining to an element of a set that has a given property when written on the left of an element or set of elements of the set: a left identity, as 1 in 1 · x = x.
4. the left side or something that is on the left side.
5. a turn toward the left: Make a left at the next corner.
6. the Left ,
a. the complex of individuals or organized groups advocating liberal reform or revolutionary change in the social, political, or economic order.
b. the position held by these people. Cf. right (def. 34a, b).
c. See left wing .
7. ( usually cap. ) Govt.
a. the part of a legislative assembly, esp. in continental Europe, that is situated on the left side of the presiding officer and that is customarily assigned to members of the legislature who hold more radical and socialistic views than the rest of the members.
b. the members of such an assembly who sit on the left.
8. Boxing. a blow delivered by the left hand.
9. Baseball. See left field (def. 1).
10. toward the left: She moved left on entering the room.
[ 1125-75; 1935-40 for def. 6; ME left, lift, luft, OE left idle, weak, useless, Kentish form of lyft- (in lyftadl palsy); c. D, LG lucht; akin to ME libbe (mod. dial. lib ) to castrate, c. D, LG lubben ]
/left/ , v.
1. pt. and pp. of leave 1 .
2. get left ,
a. to be left stranded.
b. to miss an opportunity, objective, etc.