Meaning of LOCAL in English
— localness , n.
/loh"keuhl/ , adj.
1. pertaining to or characterized by place or position in space; spatial.
2. pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: a local custom.
3. pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country: local transportation.
4. stopping at most or all stations: a local train.
5. pertaining to or affecting a particular part or particular parts, as of a physical system or organism: a local disease.
6. Med. (of anesthesia or an anesthetic) affecting only a particular part or area of the body, without concomitant loss of consciousness, as distinguished from general anesthesia.
7. a local train, bus, etc.
8. a newspaper item of local interest.
9. a local branch of a union, fraternity, etc.
10. a local anesthetic.
11. Often, locals .
a. a local person or resident: primarily of interest to locals.
b. a local athletic team: the locals versus the state champions.
12. stamp (def. 22).
13. Brit. Informal. a neighborhood pub.
14. Informal. to travel by or take a local train or the like.
[ 1400-50; late ME localis. See LOCUS, -AL 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012